I never sustained the habit of coming up with a list of clothing purchases (back in the day when I actually got excited about buying clothes). But I’ve decided to try keeping a list of what I bought for the house, and renovation and construction accomplishments for the past month. I’m not going to put a price tag because this is not about budgeting. (Well, not primarily). I just want to know if my monthly expenses for the house are on track – if I’m staying within my project checklists and not getting too distracted. I’m going to try not to overspend on non-priority items from here on in!
With those lofty goals in mind I thus present (with much shame) my home hauls for December 2016:
- L’Indochine grey pillow sham with these multi-colored triangles (as a pair to the one I already have at home) and pink vase with those funny “ears”
- Gene + Jas cream pillowcases with fun Christmas embroidery – one of red Christmas trees and one with Santa and such
- Crate & Barrel Christmas ornaments for each of my boys (a blue iguana, a yellow iguana, and a colorful rooster; 2 Santas and a little holiday bell lady)
- The Paper Stone planner for me and a notebook for Laz, and a Moleskine planner for me (the one for Paper Stone is for colorful doodles).
- Pottery Barn Kids placemats and plates for Laz and Alo
- Rustan’s santa containers for each of the boys (to keep their ornaments in)
- Study desk for Laz from Sta. Lucia
- H&M holiday pillow shams (red print, and black bejewelled), regular pillow covers for every day use (cream knit, black and white print with a fun fringe, and apple green), and a sweet little pink metal tray
- Papemelroti coasters (4, the ones with the messages), a wooden blue letter “P”, a scrabble letter “P”, a little crucifix ornament, and Nativity figures
- White dining room curtains from Uratex (from this brand called Pauline’s) – which ended up too short because I didn’t bother to measure
- West Elm king size duvet cover (white with black print)
- Ikea side table, rocking chair, high chair for Bo, white metal shelves, and paper napkin holder
- RECEIVED: a vintage wooden high chair for Alo – a gift from my parents! They found it in that Japan surplus store in Tagaytay. My dad and I refurbished it recently.
Ugh. That is a terrible list. The ones in bold are the priorities. Can we excuse all the Christmas-related purchases? The study desk for Laz became a necessity because he’s been building tank models recently and he’s been doing it on the floor, poor child. Funny enough, I ended up getting a lot of the stuff I needed for my living from from Ikea (via Furniture Source!) – dyahe! I wanted a rocking chair in lieu of an armchair. I will confess this though – cute as it is, I think I’ll eventually replace that clear little side table I got. The metal shelves, too, are great but now I’m not quite sure I want to keep them in the dining area (my alternative to a sideboard). UGH! I hate they’ll-do-for-now pieces. I should have thought it over (some more! Haha). I also hate that my new curtains are too short.
But in spite of the boo boos, there are stuff from December that I truly truly love – starting with Alo’s vintage high chair! My napkin holder and planners. My living room coasters. Our duvet cover. Our rocking chair.
BUT I PROMISE TO DO BETTER FOR JANUARY!