Like a fool, I’ve been sharing photos of our ugly couch. I know I’ve been complaining about it too for the longest time.
I mentioned it here, but I’m going to go over it again because this is the great big “BEFORE” post. The red striped fabric is what’s keeping the foam or stuffing together. It’s ill fitting, I know, and the back cushions are too short and always end up getting wedged in the wood. The cushions are simultaneously too thin and too lumpy. There’s a missing slat on the seat, hidden under those cushions.
We started out with this couch for the living room. It’s a hand-me-down from my parents, and we used it in our previous home, too, along with the hand-me-down upholstery from my mom. Not my style, the seat covers, but at least at that time we actually had seat covers for this thing. Then when we moved to this Little House, I swapped it out for a love seat. And I was happy with it for a while, but realized we needed more seating in there and the small couch in the already small room made everything just look smaller. So I borrowed the narra couch again, and put the love seat in the Lanai-Playroom (after returning the dark wood daybed likewise on loan from my mother). But then the old seat covers, easily 10 years old come to think of it, started to tear and look dingy. So we stripped the poor, sad, old couch.
I’ve been meaning to replace the foam for this couch for years. I’ve actually inquired at Uratex months and months ago and was overjoyed to find that it would only cost me around Php 2,000.00 for the back rest and the seat. But of course I never got around to actually ordering the new foam – until last Saturday! HA!
See how cheap it is? I measured the couch and the old cushions, and had one big piece cut for the back and for the seat, just to keep it simple. You can order seat covers from Uratex, too, although the fabric is not so nice. I ordered plain white ones for the time being, and will trek to Kamuning for tela so I can have thicker covers made. I’m sticking to white, grey, and royal or navy blue for my seat covers. No beige – the old covers were beige, and I’m sick of beige.
It’s such a simple thing and I am GIDDY about this for finally just getting it done. As always, I am kicking myself for not doing it sooner. So easy and so inexpensive with Uratex, and the foam we picked out is much thicker, obviously, than the ones we are using now. (You can wait for an hour for the foam and pick up the covers separately. The covers will take 7 to 10 days to finish. But we decided to just pick up everything together). Like I’ve shared, I love that this couch belonged to my grandmother, and it’s made of narra and has such a simple, classic frame. I just need to roll up my sleeves and give it some actual TLC.